Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Gastric Bypass...mixed ramblings!

I found out today that one of my oldest friends has finally, after fighting for 3 years, been approved by her insurance to have gastric bypass. Her surgery is scheduled for April 27th, just a few weeks from now. I am very happy for her, because I know that this is something that she has wanted for a long time. She, like me, has struggled with her weight for her entire life.

I know of several people who have had gastric bypass. One had it 7 or 8 years ago, lost a ton of weight, got pregnant and gained some back, but then lost it again and is still at her ideal weight. One had it several years ago, lost nowhere near what she should have, then gained every bit of it, plus more, back without ever really seeing any positive difference in her health. And two more who have lost over 150 pounds on it and are loving their new lives. A cousin of my husband even works in the office of the local bariatric surgeon, after having lost half of her body weight following the surgery.

I'm not going to lie and say that I haven't considered gastric bypass. Seriously considered it, in fact. I have gone back and forth in my mind (and on pro and con lists on paper, LOL) for years about whether I think that GB would work for me. Would I lose weight? Yes, I know I would. But would I keep it off? This is where I am not sure. Unless I am able to work through why I eat and conquer that, there is no way I could keep the weight off. And if I am able to change the way I eat in order to make the surgery a success, why can't I just go ahead and change my way of eating and lose the weight without the surgery?

For now, my insurance doesn't cover bariatric surgery, so this isn't even an option for me. However I can't swear that if it does cover it in the future that I won't look into it more seriously. In the meantime, however, I am going to keep on keeping on, and hopefully by the time this surgery becomes possible, I won't need it anymore anyway.

I don't know if you read my blog or not Alicia, but I love you girl, and wish you all the luck in the world on your new journey! I'm here if you need me for anything, and will be with you every step of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment